Wednesday January 10, 2018 - Friday January 12, 2018
Asilomar Conference Grounds, Pacific Grove, California
Three days of talks, open discussions, and modeling hackatons.
StanCon 2018 will take place at the Asilomar Conference Grounds, a National Historic Landmark on the Monterey Peninsula right on the beach.
Asilomar is approximately 120 miles south of downtown San Francisco (about 105 miles from San Francisco International Airport) and about 75 miles south of San Jose.
The Monterey Regional Airport (MRY) is just 8 miles from Asilomar, while Mineta San Jose International (SJC) is 80 miles to the North and San Francisco International Airport (SFO) is 110 miles to the North.
Local taxi companies service the Monterey Regional Airport, as does the Monterey-Salinas Transit bus system. Airport shuttle service to and from San Jose and San Francisco airports can be arranged in advance through Monterey Airbus by calling 831.373.7777 or visiting the Monterey Airbus website.
Talks and discussions will take place in Merrill Hall.
Registration for StanCon 2018 proceeds in two steps.
- First fill out the registration information.
Once the registration information has been completed you can proceed to payment.
2a. If you are staying at Asilomar then continue to the Asilomar website to arrange and pay for accommodation along with the registration fee.
2b. If you are not staying at Asilomar then download the offsite registration form and send a completed copy to AsilomarSales@aramark.com as instructed.
If you are a student unable to fund attendance to this year’s conference then please consider applying for a student scholarship, which will cover accommodation and registration.
Until Friday November 10, 2017 the registration fees will be
- Student: $150
- Student (Underrepresented Community*): $100
- Academic: $250
- Academic (Underrepresented Community*): $200
- Industry: $350
- Industry (Underrepresented Community*): $300
After Friday November 10, 2017 all registration prices will increase by 50%. Registrations will not be accepted after Wednesday December 20, 2017.
* We are offering an optional discounted registration to anyone identifying with as a member of an underrepresented community, including but not limited to gender, ethnicity, and orientation.
Accommodations at Asilomar cover three nights, beginning with check-in the evening of Tuesday January 9, 2018 and continuing through check-out the morning of Friday January 9, 2018. Accommodations include dinner on Tuesday, breakfast-lunch-dinner on Wednesday and Thursday, and breakfast-lunch on Friday.
- Single accommodations: $899.00
- Double accommodations: $605.93
- Quad accommodations (reserved for students): $476.00
These costs do not include an additional $20 processing fee that will be charged when you check into your accommodation at Asilomar.
Guest accommodations are also available. Similarly, accommodations for preceding and subsequent days are available for those wishing to enjoy the grounds before or after the conference. For details see the the Asilomar page.
Cancellations can be made before December 10 2018 although $100 will be deducted from any cancellation to cover processing and handling.
For those planning to attend the conference but not stay on the Asilomar grounds meals can be purchased a la carte:
- Breakfast: $19.81
- Lunch: $25.64
- Dinner: $39.87
A la carte meals also require a $12 facility fee per day.
Contributed talks at StanCon are based on interactive, self-contained notebooks, such as knitr or Jupyter, and will take the place of proceedings.
Submission instructions can be found here.
- Susan Holmes (Department of Statistics, Stanford University)
- Sean Taylor and Ben Letham (Facebook Core Data Science)
- Manuel Rivas (Department of Biomedical Data Science, Stanford University)
- Talia Weiss (Department of Physics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology)
- Sophia Rabe-Hesketh (Educational Statistics and Biostatistics, University of California, Berkeley)
More to come!
StanCon 2018 will begin the morning of Wednesday January 10, 2018 and will close at the end of Friday January, 12 2018.
Exact schedule coming soon!
StanCan 2018 would not be possible without the generous support of our sponsors. If you are interested in becoming a sponsor then please contact the StanCon Organizing Committee.
Code of Conduct
In order to facilitate a welcoming environment for all attendees, StanCon 2018 will enforce a code of conduct.
- Michael Betancourt (Columbia University)
- Jonah Gabry (Columbia University)
- Daniel Lee (Stan Group Inc)
- Eric Novik (Stan Group Inc)
- Megan Shabram (NASA Ames)
- Rob Trangucci (University of Michigan)
- Lizze Wolkovich (Harvard University)